Considering putting your home on the market? Our experienced team at Fix It People have combined their vast knowledge to curate this comprehensive checklist to assist you in readying your home for sale. We’ve also included some helpful tips for open house viewings.
Home Exterior Prep
First impressions matter! The exterior appearance of your home significantly influences its curb appeal.
- Patch up and freshen the paint on doors, window frames, fascia, etc.
- Resuscitate your lawn with fertilizer and regular watering. Maintain its appearance by frequent mowing and edging until the house is sold.
- Trim back overgrown shrubs to reveal your home’s exterior.
- Invest in seasonal flowers or ground cover for a personal touch.
- Replace any missing shutters, gutters, or downspouts and clear away any debris.
- Inspect and repair any visible roof damage like broken shingles or tiles.
- Cracks in the driveway or walkways can be easily repaired with ready-mix concrete. Use a cleaning agent for stubborn stains.
- Repair stucco water stains with a gentle bleaching agent.
- Mend and paint any broken fences.
- Ensure the area in front of your home is clean. Spray down the area with a hose if necessary.
- Clean all windows – inside and out.
- Most of these suggestions apply to your backyard or kids’ play area as well.
Home Interior Prep
- Deep clean your entire home.
- Repair any wall cracks or holes and touch-up with paint.
- Clean doors and repair or replace any torn screens.
- Avoid repainting the entire house unless current colors are very bright or unconventional. Light colors, particularly pastels or white, are generally preferable for new homeowners; they also make your rooms appear larger.
- Clean carpets and drapes. Ensure carpets are vacuumed throughout the house the day it’s being shown.
- Use lubricants for squeaky doors, windows, and cabinets.
- Use deodorizers in each room and closet.
- Store excess clothing to prevent clutter in closets.
- Pre-pack items that may clutter your home and make rooms appear smaller.
- Incorporate some colorful plants to liven up the interior.
The kitchen is a focal point in every home. A clean and sunny appearance with a few green plants can make it very attractive.
- Keep countertops clean and free from appliances.
- Appliances should be clean and neatly arranged.
- Never leave dirty dishes in the sink.
- Clean and wax the kitchen floor. Consider replacing the flooring if it appears worn or old.
- Clean fans and vent hoods.
- Thoroughly clean all bathroom fixtures.
- Remove any stains from sinks, toilets, and bathtubs.
- Replace any old caulking around the bathtub and sinks.
- Repair or replace any leaking faucets.
- Unclog and sanitize drains to remove odors.
- Clean all mirrors.
- Always keep toilet seat lids closed.
- Ensure fresh towels are available in the bathrooms at all times.
- Consider a garage sale to dispose of any unwanted items.
- Pack away any family heirlooms that you intend to move with and store them in the garage.
- Use a degreaser from your local home repair store to remove stains from the garage floor.
- Remove any cobwebs.
- If the basement or attic is a functional part of the house, ensure the area is clean and in good repair.
As you embark on this exciting journey to sell your home, remember that every detail counts. From maintaining a pristine exterior to ensuring the interior is welcoming and clean, your efforts can significantly enhance your home’s appeal to potential buyers. With this checklist at your disposal, we at Fix It People are confident that you can prepare your home in the best possible way for sale.
In the world of real estate, selling your home can sometimes seem like a daunting task. But with preparation, organization, and the right approach, you can make your home stand out in the market and attract the right buyers.
As you navigate this process, never hesitate to reach out to us at Fix It People. Our team is always ready to lend their expertise, whether that involves suggesting home improvement strategies or answering your queries. Our goal is to make your home selling experience smooth and successful. Here’s to a successful home sale and the exciting new chapter ahead!